Thursday, 8 October 2015

On a (slightly) Narcissitic Endeavour

So, to begin...

The purpose of this blog, for the most part, is to dispense some reasoned and critical thoughts about the day, occasionally from my far left, as in orbiting Neptune, position. It will be a collection of my thinking about things, working out, responding to articles or events that I find interesting and offering a, hopefully, enlightening and somewhat idiosyncratic commentary on it. Occasional book reviews as well.

By doing this I am suggesting that things I say are worth reading and can help understand the world. Hence the narcissism.

The title of the blog comes from William Somerset's, played by Morgan Freeman, quote in the movie Seven: "Ernest Hemingway once wrote: 'the world is a fine place and worth fighting for'. I agree with the second part." It kind of gives a good summation of this enterprise and my position: a sort of optimistic/idealistic cynicism. Yes the world is mostly awful, but it's the only one we've got so we have to do the best we can with it.

Whomever comes by, I hope you enjoy it!

Well, at least enjoy it until I get locked up because of the governments anti-extremism laws some two years hence..

No comments:

Post a Comment